Monday, December 29, 2014

A Christmas Playlist that just might come in handy...



A friend sent me a Christmas Playlist and I know Christmas is over for this year but you never know when you may need a playlist!!!  Literacy takes all forms here!

I thought it was really fun so here it is with his permission.  I have decided that it is still the holiday season so here you go and thanks for sending this, Michael C.  I just put in the hyper links as my contribution!  

I first met Michael in 1973 when we worked at a summer camp and he had just returned from a Rolling Stones concert so some things really don't change.  I personally might have other favourites such as Robert Downey singing Joni Mitchell's River but you are spared!   I could't resist a few comments in brackets but from now on the words are his! 

"Hi there, I just did this list because I was looking at the 2000 miles video and it led me on a search for a few others.I like 1,2,3 and 5 the best. I didn't include Band-aid which I really like because it annoys some people due to its being overplayed over the years.I would like to avoid annoying people wherever possible.There is no Mariah Carey or similar artists because it is my list and she is very high on my annoying list. No.s  11 and 12 don't have anything to do with Christmas but represent an opportunity to break away from the Christmas theme and cleanse one's soul through other means,like though fun.
   I didn't include Monty Python Christmas in Heaven which is rather funny and I like their Finland is the Country for Me which is even funnier but it has nothing to do with Christmas.( and 12 is a nice round number even if it is 11 plus a place holder).To be  completely honest I can't watch the Sting ones all the way though unless I was doing something else at the same time while I can watch my favorites over and over with no need for distraction.I have a CD with Sting and the Chieftains which kind of fits the overall theme and is very atmospheric but I couldn't find a YouTube clip except for Sister's of Mercy.
  There I have used atmospheric and haunting in the same email, I can tick that box off. There is a Kinks' Christmas song which is ok ,Father Christmas , but I left it out in deference to Chrissie Hynde and her opinion of Ray Davies. 



1.Christie Hynde : 2000 Miles , very pretty song and nice arrangement. Coldplay and others do a version. Her repetitive little riff is very catchy and her quirky voice fits so well.


Here is the original version, more electrified , with a goofy and dated video


2. Fairy Tale of New York, note the  Matt Dillon cameo.He like to play cops ,it would seem.Don't look at Shane McGowan's teeth.Beneath that drug and alcohol addled exterior there is or at least was a genius..this is the original version with the late Kirsty MacColl.


3.Dido. I really like her voice..haunting...the song is ..Christmas Day ..it has a bit of Game of Thrones feel to it,horses Knights and fog,in the overall impression of it ,if not the words


3.Bruce S live ...Santa Claus is coming to town...he is such a good guy and a good sport how could anyone not like it.


4.Keith R "Keef" Run Run Rudolph. Keith doing a Xmas song seems odd but in his other life he is a regular guy, walks the dog and writes children's books ,therefore  he must enjoy Christmas...the song is a tribute to Chuck Berry in any event.Hail Hail Rock and Roll...good movie.


5.Emerson Lake and Palmer.  I believe in Father Christmas.Nice pipes from Greg Lake. I think that is him...actually it might be the solo version without E and P..I didn't see any drummer in the cliffs...I Believe in Father Xmas...They don't get much Air play these days but they were pretty good in their day...


6.  Queen...Thank god it's Christmas, I miss Freddie Mercury's voice.So over the top but so much fun.


7.John Lennon, Now this is Xmas. jangly edgy John with the Plastic Ono Band.


8.Enya …We wish you a Merry Christmas.  gothic gaelic swell music( as in swelling ,building up to a crest as opposed to the jocular " it is swell music").Seriously I used to listen to my one Enya CD a lot but not so much lately...Orinoco Flow anybody?


9. I looked for a Moody Blues  Xmas song but it seemed to be blocked. So this is a placeholder...their music seems to fit with the seasonal mood....Ride my see saw while on an sleigh in the snow? Never Comes the(Xmas) Day...(holiday) Nights in White Satin

(Now I am going to interject-I found this one which I kind of liked A Winter's Tale-I personally used to love the Moody Blues and went to a very nice outdoor concert here.  I did find links for the others but they might have been ones Michael would have picked-oh well..).

10. Sting with his wintry disposition deserves honourable mention...he is a bit pretentious but he is a serious musician and goes some places that other musicians would never go and that tantric stuff as well....he has my respect if not my patient listening. Soul Cake.

More Sting with talking explanation of his winter themed cd, Deutsch Grammophon already.  If on a winter's night.


11. Romantics , What I Like About You...old school one hit wonder.It has legs and what about those outfits and hair, makes you want to jump about.  (me again, I had forgotten about this one…)


12. AC DC Highway to Hell at River Plate ...what better way to blow away all that seasonal introspection and melancholy than watching Angus and Malcolm  in front of vast numbers of crazed South American fans singing along...kind of hypnotic, actually not kind of ,very very hypnotic, I might even wear those horns if I see them live. (let's hope he doesn't but kind of cheery I have to admit)



No comments: