Monday, August 10, 2009

At the movies-Julie & Julia


Tonight I went to see Julie & Julia. What a perfect way to spend a rainy evening! For anyone who doesn't know this is based on the true stories of Julia Child and how she came to write The Art of Mastering French Cooking, and of Julie Powell, who decided to cook all the recipes from that cookbook in one year in her small kitchen in Queens after she got home from work, and blog about it
Now not sure if this has much to do with later literacy but the movie does concern someone blogging and that alone is kind of interesting since blogging seems to have become a popular past time for many, giving a whole new audience for writers.
I, of course, could relate to Julie's moans wondering if anyone other than her mother was reading her blog! I haven't read the book but I have read Julie Powell's recent blogs and just now I checked out the original Julia Julia Project.
Julia Child was of course a phenomenon. I remember as a child watching her on TV, not that I was too inspired to do much experimenting in French cooking (well I used to make souffles). I missed a chance to see her in person in Vermont just before she moved from the East Coast to California a few years ago.
Long ago I was a Norah Ephron (who wrote the screenplay) fan when she wrote a column in Esquire magazine, and after Heartburn, based on her own divorce was made into a movie with Meryl Streep, she become a popular screen writer of such movies as Sleepless in Seattle.
Fun movie. I liked the pearls especially.

No comments: