Sunday, November 23, 2008

San Antonio musings




Well the wonders of the internet! I am awaiting a flight to Dallas and then Vancouver. I meant to write before but I was just a bit too busy at National Council of Teachers of English Conference. I have two suitcases full of books and a head full of ideas. So many great sessions! Some people argue that individual professional development isn't effective but for me a conference like this gives me needed inspiration. It also exposes you to what the leaders in the field are thinking and gives you the opportunity to meet people that you never thought you would be able to. I know I will spend the next few days unraveling some of what I saw and heard.
Highlights-hearing and actually speaking to Greg Mortenson (Three Cups of Tea) (that's him in the picture with Pam) who has become one of my heroes, hearing what Lucy Caulkins, Heidi Mills, and Brenda Power see as the "musts" of literacy coaching, enjoying a session with Frankie Sibberson and Cris Tovani and others on formative assessment, another session looking at Reading/Writing Connections with Notebook Know How's Aimee Buckner, Jeff Anderson, and Kelly Gallagher. Kelly Gallagher is fantastic by the way, high school teachers.
Last year I loved a session on Improvisational Drama and this year,I was able to attend another. Now I have a book full of Second City exercises and literacy links. Then there were the authors and the books... And yes, the wanders (sometimes almost runs) along the River Walk. Tomorrow it's back to real work but I hope I have brought a little of my inspiration along...

No comments: