Tuesday, March 11, 2008

gutsy heroes-what I have been reading...

I have a stack of books that I want to briefly review and take to the office! The first is Keeping Score by Linda Sue Park. Okay, I admit it, I am not a baseball fan. I have beeen to the Big O in Montreal a couple of times with my friend's kids when they were small and that was fun but... my idea of a nightmare is a double header! Despite this, I really enjoyed this book which paints a very clear picture of life in the early 50's in Brooklyn. Audience probably would be grade five and up.
The Highwayman's Footsteps
by Nicola Morgan. This is a real adventure book based on the famous poem, The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes. This reminds me of the books I loved in my childhood full of action, interesting characters in exotic settings long ago, in this case 18th century England.
A friend went to the Key West Literacy Seminar. Now doesn't that seem exotic? She sent me a young adult book by an author that she heard there. Claiming Georgia Tate by Gigi Amateau is a very good book about a girl who has loving grandparents, a mom who apparently died, and a father who is not good. Things begin to go wrong when her grandmother dies. This book shows how naive people can be and the damage that can be done, but this is a book of hope with strong and interesting charactors.
The last book I am going to briefly review is When I Crossed No-Bob by Margaret McMullan. This is another book aimed at upper intermediate to grade eight that I really enjoyed. This is a historical novel set in rural Missisippi just after The Civil War. The characters are great as well as the plot. Addy is a gutsy heroine who overcomes some difficult circumstances and makes difficult decisions!

No comments: